Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

I live in Louisiana and recently a hurricane known as Gustav hit near our home. We were without power for four days and tonight is my first night to be on my computer in it feels like forever. No internet, no air conditioning, nothing…
So how was the past four days? Some moments were better than others. We have running water and our neighbor got a generator which they kindly shared with us. God was good and I want everyone to know about it.

Day One….

Originally it was supposed to hit us at a category four. If you look at the picture of the computer screen below you’ll see what I’m talking about. We were so blessed when it unexpectedly went down to a category one.





It hit Monday… the winds were incredible. I tried to get some good videos out the window but nothing I could get could do it justice. We couldn’t believe we were only experiencing a small hurricane. My sister and I had cleared everything out of our room in case a window broke and we sat and waited. The electricity went out at about eleven – thirty a.m. but the temperature outside was windy and after the storm we went and played in the water.


notice the gray sky in the back


mimi holding up a piece of our roof.



the wind was crazy


playing in the mud


racing (i always win)

We were so blessed in the way God took care of us again and again. The first night we sat down in our dark house and my Papa asked what we were thankful for. I had to say, "I'm thankful that our God is a big God." This storm could have been so bad and as we had watched it come I must admit I got a little scared but this storm that could have been so devastating wasn't some big glob out of control in the gulf of Mexico. God holds the oceans in the palm of His hand and He was holding Gustav and guiding it's every move. This was a great adventure but we survived with nothing more than a few shingles missing. Isn't God great! Though then we didn't know what was coming next.

1 comment:

hannah elizabeth said...

hey girl!
you did a great job documenting the hurricane-i love all your pics!
and i enjoyed spending the evening with yall yesterday. helped to pass time and it was fun hangin with your whole family.
oh and congrats on getting electrity last night. I know yall are enjoying it! =)